Saturday, August 9, 2008

My first BOM!

Today I received my first BOM. To non-quilters, this stands for Block of the Month. It means that I have committed to receiving (note I am not saying completing) a quilt kit each month that will eventually lead to a completed queen or king-size quilt. Of course, I have not chosen something easy. The quilt is called 'Ladies of the Sea' by Sue Garman. It contains 16 different historical sailing ships. The clincher was that one of them is the Bluenose.... How could I resist? My dad and grandfather sailed out of Halifax and she is one of the prettiest ships ever.

So far today I have taken the material out of the package, read all of the instructions, gathered the notions I will need from my existing supplies and made a list of what I still need to get. I have also copied the applique pattern of the two ships, Bluenose and Xebec, so that I can mark on them, tape them together and trace the many tiny pieces onto freezer paper or applique paper without ruining the original. I've also Googled the two ships to ensure that I have the correct sail shapes and rigging. In the process, I found out that the Bluenose was launched on March 26, 1921. For some reason, Sue Garman has the year 1929 underneath the ship so I have posted a comment on her blog asking why. That, of course, led me to wonder how easy it would be to set up a blog myself.... so here I am at 2:52 am starting my first entry.

Hmmm. Perhaps 'tis time to send me to bed.

No comments: